This module asks us to start thinking about how research can be brought to market. How can its purpose be successfully communicated to industry, end-users, and society in a way that it can be quickly and efficiently adopted into public use while generating a profit?
There are many factors to consider in determining commercialization potential of research and inventions, among those considerations are:
- What real world problems does it address?
- How is it solving that problem?
- What impact could it have?
- Who would be interested in using it?
- Would someone pay to use it?
- What costs are involved?
- Do other inventions exist to solve the same problem?
- What are the barriers that need to be removed before fully commercializing the product? (i.e., regulatory, safety and efficacy testing, patents, etc.)