Conflict in the nursing profession is not a new issue, yet it may emerge from a variety of complex elements at play in a health organization. Managing conflict effectively can contribute to the success of the organization, or team that you manage, whereas lack of competent management can result in workplace incivility, increased absenteeism, and turnover, and most importantly, compromised patient care and safety outcomes.
Content areas to be covered in this module include:
- Conflict as a complex process – constructive vs destructive conflict
- Potential causes of conflict
- Conflict in the context of nursing and patient care
- Strategies to resolve conflict
- Restoring and maintaining trust in a team