Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss the impact of cybercrime in Canada;
- Describe information technologies that are used in computer crimes;
- Explain the major security threats;
- Define the information security triad;
- Discuss the information security tools used in safeguarding computers and networks; and
- Outline the process to secure yourself digitally.
Since computers and other digital devices have become essential to business, they have also increasingly become a target for attacks. In order for a company or an individual to use a computing device with confidence, they must first be assured that the device is not compromised in any way and that all communications are secure. This chapter discusses cybercrime and its impact on Canadian organizations. It also reviews the fundamental concepts of information systems security and discusses some of the measures that can be taken to mitigate security threats. Finally, you will review a list of security precautions that individuals can take in order to secure their personal computing environment.