- Software development is about solving business problems.
- Developing new software applications requires several steps, from the formal SDLC process to more informal processes such as agile programming or lean methodologies.
- In end-user computing, software development happens outside the information technology department.
- Conducting a feasibility analysis is important to ensure the new system will be a good investment.
- Programming languages have evolved from very low-level machine-specific languages to higher-level languages that allow a programmer to write software for a wide variety of machines.
- Most programmers work with software development tools to make the software development more efficient.
- Some companies choose to purchase software to save development costs and speed implementation.
- When implementing new software applications, there are several different types of implementation methodologies that must be considered.
- What is systems development, and what are some of the factors that impact the success of systems projects?
- Which software-development methodology would be best if an organization needed to develop a software tool for a small group of users in the marketing department? Why?
- What is the SDLC and why is it referred to as a waterfall approach?
- What is the result of the planning phase? What is the result of the requirements phase?
- What should be considered in a feasibility analysis?
- Why would an organization consider building its own software application if it is cheaper to buy one?
- What is responsive design?
- What are some of the considerations that must be taken into account at the implementation phase?
- Explain some of the different ways a project can be implemented?
- Why is the maintenance phase so important
- Some argue that HTML is not a programming language. Doing your own research, find three arguments for why it is not a programming language and three arguments for why it is.
- Read more about responsive design using the link given in the text. Provide the links to three websites that use responsive design and explain how they demonstrate responsive-design behavior.
- Why do some development projects fail? What can be done to reduce the risk?
This assignment is designed to highlight the major areas of the Systems Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
Use the steps of the SDLC to outline the development of a mobile ordering application for your favorite restaurant. You want to be able to order food from your favorite restaurant with your phone. Using the steps of the SDLC, outline (and briefly describe) each step of the SDLC as it relates to developing a mobile ordering system.
1. Systems Analysis: Describe your favorite restaurant and the capabilities of the mobile ordering system.
2. System Design: In greater detail, outline specific and unique features of the mobile system.
3. Programming: What are the greatest obstacles you see in developing the mobile system (software)?
4. Testing: How will you know the system is working correctly, how do you plan to test it?
5. Conversion/Implementation: How will the new system be incorporated into the restaurant?
6. Production and Maintenance: What mechanisms will be present to upgrade the system and provide feedback?
Chapter 7 Attributions
Information Systems for Business and Beyond (2019)- Chapter 10 by David Bourgeois is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.
Information Systems: No Boundaries! Chapter 5 Systems Thinking and Design by Shane M Schartz is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.
Introduction to Computer Applications and Concepts: Systems Development by Lumen Learning is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License except where otherwise noted.