11.1. Chapter Introduction
Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define the term business process;
- Explain how business process management and business process re-engineering work and the associated advantages and disadvantages;
- Identify the different systems needed to support business processes in an organization;
- Explain transaction processing systems, and contrast them to enterprise systems; and
- Outline how information technology combined with business processes can bring an organization competitive advantage.
Processes are another component of information systems, but what is a process and how does it tie into information systems? This chapter explores business processes, and the strategies employed to improve them. In addition, information systems that can be utilized to automate business processes for strategic advantage are examined.