7.1. Chapter Introduction
Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define systems development;
- Explain the overall process of developing new systems;
- Explain the differences between system development methodologies;
- Discuss the components of a feasibility analysis;
- List the different types of programming languages used to develop software;
- Understand some of the issues surrounding the development of mobile applications;
- Compare the build vs buy decision; and
- Identify the four primary implementation policies.
When someone has an idea for a new function to be performed by a computer, how does that idea become reality? If a company wants to implement a new business process and needs new hardware or software to support it, how do they go about making it happen? This chapter covers the different methods of taking those ideas and bringing them to reality, a process known as information systems development.