- For inflammatory ulcers, accurate identification of the etiology is paramount and may require laboratory, microbiology or pathology testing with possible referrals to specialists
- Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a recurring, chronic, and inflammatory condition that affects skin predominantly in apocrine glands-bearing areas, although the primary defect is in the hair follicle
- Pyoderma Gangrenosum (PG) is a painful ulcerative condition that is frequently associated with systemic disorders and links PG to a probable underlying immunologic abnormality
- Vasculitis is defined as the destruction of blood vessel walls due to inflammatory cell infiltration, is common in the lower legs, and often presents as ulcers, purpura, or other presentations
- For inflammatory ulcers implement evidence-informed treatment strategies while tracking healing trajectories at each appointment
Carlson, J. A., Cavaliere, L. F., & Grant-Kels, J. M. (2006). Cutaneous vasculitis: Diagnosis and management. Clinics in Dermatology, 24(5), 414–429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2006.07.007
Jemec, G. B. (2012). Hidradenitis suppurativa. New England Journal of Medicine, 366(2), 158-164.
Maverakis E, Ma C, Shinkai K, Fiorentino D, Callen JP, Wollina U, Marzano AV, Wallach D, Kim K, Schadt C, Ormerod A, Fung MA, Steel A, Patel F, Qin R, Craig F, Williams HC, Powell F, Merleev A, Cheng MY. Diagnostic Criteria of Ulcerative Pyoderma Gangrenosum: A Delphi Consensus of International Experts. JAMA Dermatol. 2018 Apr 1;154(4):461-466. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2017.5980. PMID: 29450466.
Monari, P., Moro, R., Motolese, A., Misciali, C., Baraldi, C., Fanti, P. A., Caccavale, S., Puviani, M., Olezzi, D., Zampieri, P., Trevisan, G., Nan, K., Fiorentini, C., Pellacani, G., & Gualdi, G. (2018). Epidemiology of pyoderma gangrenosum: Results from an Italian prospective multicentre study. International Wound Journal, 15(6), 875–879. https://doi.org/10.1111/iwj.12939
Ruocco, E., Sangiuliano, S., Gravina, A. G., Miranda, A., & Nicoletti, G. (2009). Pyoderma Gangrenosum: An updated review. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 23(9), 1008–1017. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2009.03199.x
Revuz, J. (2009). Hidradenitis suppurativa. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 23(9), 985-998.