In this chapter, you will learn and demonstrate your understanding of signage, PPE use, infections and isolation standards. This practice will define your actions in daily workplace situations involving infection control protocols, and will allow you to feel more confident about your role.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the signage and the appropriate PPE for each isolation precaution
- Identify common infections and which infections require isolation techniques
- Define the precautions for Contact, Droplet and Airborne Isolation protocol
- Implement isolation and special barrier precautions
When learning about infection prevention and control, it is essential to first look at the terminology to ensure that you understand everything clearly. These terms will be used throughout this book, so it is important to take the time to master them and practice your recall often.
- Routine Precautions
- Additional Precautions
- Contact Precautions
- Airborne Precautions
- Droplet Precautions
- Enhanced Barrier Precautions
Whenever these terms are first introduced in this chapter, they are bolded. However, if you need additional information about a term than what is provided here, you can research it in The Free Dictionary: Medical Dictionary.