In this chapter you have learned:
- Barriers to effective communication
- Common defence mechanisms and how they can interfere with communication
- How communication might be affected by electronic communication
- How to communicate with a client who is not happy
- Why assertive communication is important
Now you have a deeper understanding of how communication works in a healthcare setting, including challenges to effective communication like defence mechanisms. You understand important considerations when using electronic communication, and can implement strategies when dealing with a client who is not happy. Finally, you can define and use assertive communication strategies.