Chapter 3: Leadership Styles, Roles, and Traits
In the last chapter, all the theoretical concepts in relation to management were introduced. The focus will shift to leadership and the different styles, roles, and traits that make up a leader. In addition, we will discuss the nature of power and how to use it effectively in leadership roles will be addressed.
The learning outcomes for this chapter are:
- Classify and explain the four different leadership styles presented in this chapter.
- Define the roles of a leader within a learning organization and how managers are shaped through different leadership styles.
- Compare and contrast the different studies done on the behavioural traits of leadership within learning organizations.
- Critique the understanding of power within leadership, and describe how power can be used.
- Use some self reflection on what type of leadership style you follow.
- Engage in class discussion on leadership theories to get a feel of leadership styles.
- Develop your own understanding of power in relation to what the text outlines.