This chapter will discuss some classical and contemporary theories present in the world of management. In addition, it will focus on the work of how managers function within the world of organizations, more succinctly, learning organizations. It will also consider some contemporary management theories that have become present in the modern workforce. This chapter will develop a more in-depth view into the world of management and how management relates to the learning organization.
The learning outcomes for this chapter are:
- Describe the historical background of the classical management theories and their relevance to the learning organization.
- Describe the functions of management within organizations, and theories that apply to the ideal functions of management.
- Compare, contrast, and critique the contemporary management theories to get a broad understanding of management within a modern learning organization.
- Attempt to track a lineage of management theories with regard to the time they were created.
- Attempt to understand why there are management theories within learning organizations.
- Note technological advancements and their effects on management theory.