At the end of this chapter, learners will be able to:
- Define perception and explain ways in which you organize perceptual information.
- Describe the terms self-concept and self-esteem.
- Discuss how social norms, family, culture, and media influence self-perception.
- Give examples of the effect of self-fulfilling prophecies.
- List three ways to better understand and reach your audience.
Abe recently started a job as a financial analyst in a Canadian company. Her boss asked her to prepare and deliver a presentation to the board of directors on the budget and forecast she has been working on. She has not had a lot of practical experience presenting, and she is unfamiliar with the members of the board. She wants to make a good impression and ensure she effectively communicates her work to date. As you read this chapter consider some of the ways that Abe can ensure she meets her goals in her presentation.
“16. Introduction” from Communication for Business Professionals by eCampusOntario is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.