Module 2: Gender and Sexuality
This module introduced students to Gender and Sexuality as categories that enrich and complicate our understanding of the Holocaust, the ways in which antisemitism worked together with Nazi ideologies of sexuality and gender, and how the study of these topics continues to develop and emerge.
The following questions encourage you to reflect on and synthesize the content and ideas from this module.
Concluding Reflection Questions
- What do we gain from focusing on gender and sexuality in our understanding of the Holocaust and Antisemitism?
- How has the evolution of Holocaust scholarship influenced the way in which we listen to and understand survivors today?
- What are the ethical and political dilemmas inherent in focusing on gender and sexuality in oral histories and testimonies of Holocaust survivors?
- How can we bring our contemporary understandings of gender and sexuality to bear in our analysis of this history without distorting that history?
- How does a nuanced understanding of gender and sexuality during the Holocaust provide a vantage point for thinking about contemporary social and political issues?