In this chapter, we will:
- Identify the communication patterns in the supervisor-subordinate relationship.
- Describe the function and types of peer coworker relationships.
- Explain the process of friendship development and strategies for disengagement.
- Define and provide examples of sexual harassment in the workplace, as well as strategies for how to eliminate it.
- Recognize the potential challenges and benefits of work in teams compared to as individuals.
- Describe different positive and negative team roles.
- Explain the relationship between status and power in groups.
- Review qualities of toxic leadership and strategies to handle working with a toxic leader.
- Explore strategies for cultivating a positive group climate.
- Compare cooperative and collaborative group work.
- List the process of problem solving in teams.
- Summarize strategies for improving group decisions.
In this chapter, we will explore the functions and types of relationships that exist in organizations between supervisors, subordinates, and coworkers in interpersonal and group settings.