In this chapter, we will:
- Define organizational culture.
- Compare the three levels of organizational culture.
- Recognize the importance of organizational culture on behaviours and outcomes.
- Describe the process of creating and maintaining organizational culture.
- Explain the influence of external factors on organizational culture.
- Review the process for changing culture.
- Explore common reactions to change.
- List common reasons that employees are resistant to change in the workplace.
- Describe strategies for effectively executing change.
- Summarize popular frameworks for assessing organizational culture.
- Analyze the role of codes in enacting workplace culture and behaviours.
- Identify steps in the processive discipline and termination processes.
In this chapter, we will examine organizational culture – its characteristics, how its created, and strategies used to maintain or change culture. We will discuss several popular frameworks for assessing organizational culture. Finally, we will examine formalized codes, discipline, and termination and their role in maintaining expected standards of behaviour.