Advanced Directive & Planning for Illness & Death Assignment
This chapter focused on the importance of advanced planning for illness and death. You have 2 options for this chapter’s assignment. Option 1 involves completing your Advanced Care Plan (ACP) and Power of Attorney for Personal Care via a downloadable and fillable PDF document. Option 2 involves writing a reflection paper. It is important to complete all chapter materials (chapter content, including all embedded links to readings and videos, and the required course materials) prior to starting either Option 1 or 2 for the assignment.
Options for assignment #10
After downloading a document containing the necessary forms, this assignment option requires you to do three things: (1) complete your Advanced Care Plan (ACP)/ Advanced Directives (including signature); (2) appoint your Substitute Decision-Maker (SDM)/Attorney for Personal Care (APC) via the creation of a Power of Attorney for Personal Care (including signatures); and (3) submit the PDF document to demonstrate completion of the assignment.
Steps to Completing Option 1 Assignment
- Click on the following link to download a PDF of the ACP for Ontario to your computer Resources and tools. (n.d.). Speak Up Ontario. Advanced Care Planning
- Read the document in its entirety so you understand what it is you are completing.
- Fill in your Advance Care Directives (ACP) form, carefully following the directions (especially #1 and #2 of the instructions on page 2 of the document). Be sure to take some time to carefully reflect on the questions that are asked and the answers you choose.
- Sign, date and print your name at the bottom of the form. You must actually sign the document. To add your signature you can: print and sign; sign with your finger or digital pencil on an iPad or similar device; or create a digital signature, through one of the many free digital signature sites on the web, which you can then add to the document.
- Fill out your Power of Attorney for Personal Care form.
- Sign and date where indicated on the form, in the presence of 2 witnesses (as noted in #1 of the instructions for this document, witnesses cannot be: people under 18 years of age; the person/people you are appointing to act as your Attorney for Personal Care; your spouse or child). You must put your actual signature on the document (see D above for details).
- Have your 2 witnesses sign, date and print their names on the form (they too must put their actual signature on the document, following the same directions provided in D above).
- Save the entire PDF document (beginning with the Death with Dignity Logo and Advanced Care Directive/Wishes instructions to the end of your Power of Attorney for Personal care form) in PDF format to your computer.
- Give the document a name that clearly indicates whose document it is and what it is (e.g., Smyth, Jasmine, Advanced Directives & Power of Attorney Assignment).
- Submit the properly labelled (as per I) entire PDF document (beginning with the Death with Dignity Logo and Advanced Care Directive/Wishes instructions to the end of your Power of Attorney for Personal care form) to demonstrate completion of the assignment.
Write a reflection paper that details/explains/explores: what you learned from or got out of this course; how this course impacted you; if and how what you learned and/or your experiences taking the course altered your views of how you approach death, dying, grief, etc.; why you chose not to complete Option 1 for this assignment, and what steps will it take for you to get to a place where you can and will complete those documents.
Assignment Formatting & Style for Written Report
- Assignments formatting requirements: Arial 12-point font; 1 inch/2.54 centimeter margins; single spaced; APA in-text citation style, reference section and cover page.
- Use proper essay/paragraph style.
- Paraphrase as opposed to relying on direct quotes.
- Proofread your submission to make sure it is clear, well written and intelligible.
Steps to Completing Option 2 Assignment
- Click on the following link to download a PDF of the ACP for Ontario to your computer Advanced Care Planning
- Read the document in its entirety.
- Write a 1000-word reflection paper (give or take 100 words) that addresses what is outlined under Option 2 above.
The following must be submitted as part of Option 2 assignments
- A proper APA style cover page.
- A written reflection paper, as per text under Option 2 above.
- A proper APA reference section that contains any/all the material cited in the reflection paper.