- Advanced Care Plans (APC) detail our values and wishes for end-of-life care.
- Substitute Decision Makers (SDM) are people we appoint through a Power of Attorney for Personal Care to make health and medical decisions on our behalf, when we are unable to do so for ourselves.
- Having a Will detailing our wishes for the distribution of our assets and appointing a durable Power of Attorney (for property), is an important part of any end-of-life planning activities.
- Having “the conversation” with loved ones is essential for end-of-life planning and for making sure our values and wishes are honoured.
- Opening up a dialogue about death and engaging in end-of-life planning (including planning for the disposal of our body and our end of life ceremony) can ease the burden of the work that has to occur after we die.
The Conversation Project (n.d.-b). Videos. https://theconversationproject.org/videos
Canada. (n.d.-a). Benefits of estate planning. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/financial-toolkit/financial-planning/financial-planning-4/2.html
Canada. (n.d.-b). Estate planning, wills and dealing with death. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/estate-planning.html
Canada. (n.d.-c). What every older Canadian should know about Powers of attorney (for financial matters and property) and joint bank accounts. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/seniors/forum/power-attorney-financial.html
Milestones in hospice palliative care. (n.d.). Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association. https://www.chpca.ca/about-hpc/milestones-in-hospice-palliative-care/
Ontario. (n.d.). Apply for probate of an estate. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-probate-estate
Resources and tools. (n.d.). Speak Up Ontario. https://www.advancecareplanning.ca/resources-and-tools/
Wills & estates. (n.d.). Law Society of Ontario. https://lso.ca/public-resources/your-law-ontario-law-simplified/wills-and-estates
Death with Dignity Canada. (n.d.). https://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/
Hospice Palliative Care Ontario. (n.d.). https://www.hpco.ca/
The Conversation Project. (n.d.) https://theconversationproject.org/