This open educational resource (OER) is designed for novice undergraduate healthcare students learning about infection prevention and control practices. Healthcare practitioners may also find this resource valuable as a review.
This resource is intended to:
- guide best practice in infection prevention and control,
- facilitate learners’ knowledge about their role and responsibilities as healthcare providers,
- present strategies regarding how to break the chain of transmission,
- support critical thinking skills on how to prevent hospital-associated infections, and
- promote clinical judgement regarding when to apply routine practices and additional precautions guidelines.
If this is your first time using Pressbooks, watch the following video to learn how to navigate throughout the OER and the various chapters:
The OER content follows the Public Health Ontario’s Provincial Infections Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC) best practices and guidelines. Institutional practices may vary according to the institution-specific guidelines. Always review and follow your institutions policies regarding infection prevention and control practices.
This project is supported and funded by the Applied Research and Innovation Centre at Centennial College.