Chapter 5: Career Development
Due to the breadth of diversity in the Recreation and Leisure industry, many niche fields require specific certifications to work in the field. They vary from short 4-hour courses to 30+ hours courses to gain a certification. Some certifications last a lifetime while others require recertification every few years.
Below is a list of certifications offered in Ontario, and often required in niche sectors of the industry. This list is only a small example of certifications available.
Common required certifications across many sectors of Recreation and Leisure Industry
- Smart Serve – AGCO
- Food Handler Certification – ON Ministry of Health
- National Lifeguard – Lifesaving Society
- Mental Health First Aid
Other possible more specialized certifications:
- Recreation and Parks – CPRA Professional Development Certification
- Recreation Programming – High Five
- Dementia Care – Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA)
- Dementia Care – Dementiability
- Recreation Facilities – Ontario Recreation Facilities Assoc (ORFA) Professional Certifications
- Camps/Outdoor Recreation – Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Assoc Courses
- Camps/Outdoor Recreation – Challenges Unlimited training
- Sports – National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
Remember upon graduating from Recreation and Leisure Services program, furthering your education is always a choice open to you – whether now or in the future.