Welcome to Networking and LinkedIn, the third of six modules designed to help you develop your career. In this module, you will learn about what networking is and why it’s a critical part of your career development. This includes discussions around enlarging and enriching your own network and using proven techniques to make your networking efforts count, including when working online. Plus, you’ll walk away with plenty of valuable resources to add to your personalized Career Development Portfolio – resources you can use for your own career development going forward.
By the end of this module you will be able to:
- Describe the nature, purpose, and benefits of networking to support your career development
- Define your existing network and explore ways to expand it
- Apply techniques to maximize the impact of your networking efforts
- Craft an elevator pitch you can use as part of your networking efforts
- Apply best practices for conducting an informational interview
- Leverage social media platforms to support your networking efforts
- Demonstrate professionalism when networking online
- Create a LinkedIn profile and use LinkedIn to conduct networking activities
By the end of this module, you will have completed the following portfolio activities:
- Check your knowledge about some networking basics.
- Identify who is currently in your network.
- Make plans to connect with your dormant ties.
- Draft an “elevator pitch” you can use while networking.
- Make preparations to take part in a virtual career fair.
- Compose an introduction for LinkedIn connection requests.
Networking Knowledge Check
What do you already know about networking? It may be a little, or it may not be much at all. Either way, we are excited to share with you the latest and greatest strategies to help make your networking efforts a success. Take a few moments to answer a few questions about networking.
- Module 3 via Careerspace
- Scroll With Pen via Careerspace
- Lightbulb via Careerspace