It is ideal to know where you will be living before you arrive in Canada. However, some students choose to arrive in Canada before the MBA International Student Welcome program to allow themselves time to get settled and look for housing in-person. Please be sure to review the requirements and guidance on the International Graduate Students Travelling to McMaster webpage, and check back frequently for updated information.
If you need temporary accommodation while you look for housing, or while you wait until your move-in date arrives, here are a few suggestions of where to stay:
- Hotels in Hamilton: If you are looking for the privacy, comfort, services and amenities of a traditional hotel, you might consider temporary accommodation in a Hamilton hotel close to the McMaster University main campus. Some options you can look into are the Admiral Inn, the Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, or the Staybridge Suites Downtown Hamilton (this hotel includes fully equipped kitchens).
- Great option if: You plan to live in Hamilton and need somewhere to stay while you look for housing.
- Not a great option if: You are planning to stay at a hotel during the MBA International Student Welcome Program (last week of August). The hotels are close to the Hamilton campus, but your early-morning commute will be a bit long. You will need to take city transit from your hotel to the Hamilton campus and then take the free shuttle to the Ron Joyce Centre in Burlington.
- Hotels in Burlington: If you’re looking for the privacy, comfort, services and amenities of a traditional hotel, you might consider temporary accommodation in a Burlington hotel close to the Ron Joyce Centre campus. Some options you can look into are the Quality Hotel Burlington, Admiral Inn, Comfort Inn, and Motel 6.
- DeGroote MBA Student Discounted Rate: We are pleased to offer DeGroote MBA students a discounted rate of $95 CAD including complimentary breakfast, wifi, and parking at the Quality Hotel Burlington. Please call the Quality Hotel at 905-639-9290 to book your stay, letting them know you are a DeGroote MBA student and would like to receive the special rate.
- Great option if: You plan to live in Burlington and need somewhere to stay while you look for housing, or if you have already found housing and need temporary accommodation during the International Student Welcome Programming.
- Not a great option if: You want to look for housing in Hamilton, as you would have to commute from Burlington to Hamilton to visit houses which could be inconvenient
- AirBnBs: You can find short-term accommodations in either Hamilton or Burlington by renting out someone’s full apartment, or single room in an apartment/house, on AirBnB. Locations, prices, and rules vary for each room or apartment listed on their website, so be sure to research each property carefully for location and access to transportation. You may find it more convenient to stay at either the McMaster University Residence or a hotel in Burlington or Hamilton, as more support will be available to you from the front desk. AirBnB accommodations do not have front desks where you can go for assistance.