A reminder of some important ethical dimensions
Before data collection, consider:
- Your identity and positionality and who you are working with.
- What is your purpose or goal for collecting data?
- What is the focus of the data collection?
- What kind of data will be collected and why?
Answering these questions allows for a relevant dataset to move forward with a community project, plan, or activity.
Think about your research or your community engagement process:
- What impact are you planning to achieve?
- Who should be involved? Why?
- Are there rights holders or stakeholders involved?
- Would they use your knowledge?
- How would they contribute/use the knowledge?
For further reading, explore Creating Communities of Practice, a resource from the Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium (2016)