Despite these key tensions, M&E is still essential for effective projects. According to the World Bank, effective M&E provides answers to the following questions:
- Are we doing the right things?
- Are our interventions contributing to the project objectives?
Relevance, rationale, and justification
Satisfaction of donors or community members
- How effective have we been in achieving expected outcomes?
- How efficient have we been in optimizing resources?
- Are these results sustainable?
- What is the performance? Impact?
3. Are there better ways of doing it?
- What are the best practices identified?
- Lessons learned
Explore more about effective M&E in the United Nations Development Group’s (2011) Results-Based Management Handbook.