Case 1 describes a patient’s experience of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with a history of asthma. The interprofessional collaboration is role modelled between nursing, medical radiology, medical laboratory, and healthcare workers in the emergency department.
Note: The story told here is used in case 1 and case 2. The simpler version in case 1 can be used to teach novice students about health case studies. Case 2 reintroduces the patient from case 1 and expands her story with more details for more advanced study.
In this case, learners have an opportunity to:
- Review etiological factors (i.e., risk factors, prevalence, comorbidities) associated with respiratory disease
- Build knowledge related to the patient’s experience of respiratory disease
- Continue to develop comprehensive assessment, monitoring skills, and abilities (e.g., respiratory assessment, diagnostic studies, laboratory data)
- Develop and justify optimal therapy based on the current understanding of the pathophysiology of COPD and available clinical evidence
- Recommend interventions based on the risk factors, status, and progression of respiratory disease
- Define the roles of healthcare professionals and the contributions they make to the healthcare team (or describe your own role and the roles of those in other professions)